Deepwater Station was originally taken up as a pastoral property in 1839 by the Windeyer family, property owners/wine growers from Raymond Terrace.
After Archibald Windeyer’s death in 1870, Deepwater Station was bought by a family company consisting of John Donald Macansh, John Windeyer and William Thomas Cadell.
John Donald Macansh was actually married to Archibald Windeyers daughter Sarah Jane. At this time Deepwater Station was around 60,000 acres and ran 13,000 sheep and 300 cattle. For the next 60 years, the property was managed by various family members until 1943 when the government resumed 16,000 acres of Deepwater Station for soldier settlement.
At this point the family company was dissolved and Donald Paterson Macansh, the managing director at the time, purchased the homestead block along with an additional 2,000 acres. The property is still the same 4,000 acres and owned and run by the Macansh Family.
Merino sheep breeding for fine/superfine wool and Hereford cattle breeding are still the main enterprises on Deepwater Station.